Ylang Ylang is a yellow, star-shaped flower that is native to countries surrounding the Indian Ocean, including India, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, and parts of Australia. The ylang ylang flower is used to make many different kinds of essential oil, and is commonly used to add fragrance to perfumes. In addition to scent, ylang ylang oil is also commonly used for its aromatherapy properties that lead to stress relief. But, it is also a secret ingredient in the skincare world.
Ylang Ylang Oil Skincare Benefits
When you choose a powerful night cream that contains ylang ylang oil, like the Hygieia Night Cream, your skin will reap many benefits, including:
- Anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that support balanced oil production in the skin. This makes ylang ylang an effective treatment for acne and blemishes. The anti-inflammatory properties also allow it to target any inflammatory conditions in the skin, reduce the size and appearance of pores, and kill bacteria. These properties also lead to reduced skin redness and any swelling caused by acne.
- Ylang ylang oil stimulates the growth of new cells, which helps it smooth and reduce wrinkles and fine lines.
- Ylang ylang oil nourishes dry skin thanks to its hydrating properties, and its antiseptic properties may help heal the cuts and cracks that dry skin leaves behind.
- Absorbing ylang ylang oil through the skin can also reduce stress When inhaling the ylang ylang oil, it helps induce a sense of calm.
Other benefits of ylang ylang oil include:
- Reduces anxiety: The linalool found in ylang ylang is known to have anxiety-reducing properties that both lower anxiety and boost feelings of wellness and serenity. It even contains antidepressant components and helps with insomnia and tension.
- Reduces blood pressure: A 2013 study found that ylang ylang oil may considerably lower blood pressure and may even alleviate palpitations and lower stress hormone cortisol levels. When stress is lowered, blood pressure will drop.
- Combats fungal infection: The linalool, germacrene-D, and geranyl acetate found in ylang ylang oil are known to have antifungal properties that fight back against any attack of fungal infection on the skin.
What Skin Types Respond Best to Ylang Ylang Oil?
Ylang ylang oil can be used on most skin types, including combination, dry, dehydrated, and oily skin types. The oil is especially effective for aging skin and skin with enlarged pores. Its antibacterial properties also make it a powerful tool for fighting acne and pimples.
Should Any Skin Types Avoid Ylang Ylang Oil?
Every skin is different, so it’s hard to give a clear-cut answer for this one. But, some people find essential oils aggravate their sensitive skin. For that reason, people with extremely sensitive skin may want to start with a tiny amount of ylang ylang oil to see how their skin will react and build up from there. Some experts recommend pregnant women and people with low blood pressure avoid ylang ylang oil.
How Can I Apply Ylang Ylang Oil to my Skin?
Some creams contain ylang ylang oil— this is the best way to use ylang ylang oil for the skin because the amount is regulated and safe. It’s best to combine ylang ylang oil with moisturizer to make the most of its benefits.
Ylang ylang oil is chock-full of benefits and should be a key ingredient in your skincare routine for healthy, happy, and nourished skin.