Vitamin C Serums 101 - Everything You Need To Know
by Blake Cooley on Apr 22, 2021
It seems as if vitamin C serums are everywhere these days. And, if you’re anything like us, you are feeling like you want to add a vitamin C serum into your skincare routine to experience all of the benefits. And for a good reason—vitamin C is touted as one of the top anti-aging ingredients available, and it’s revered as the key to maintaining a smooth, even, and bright complexion.
In this post, we will go over everything you need to know about the serums, uses, and how to get your hands on a high-quality Vitamin C serum.
What’s a Vitamin C Serum Anyway?
A vitamin C serum is a skincare product that is packed with, you guessed it, vitamin C. The consistency is liquid or gel, and you can apply it directly to your skin.
Benefits of Vitamin C Serums
When you use a high-quality vitamin C serum, like our Hygieia Vitamin C serum, you will reap several benefits, including:
- Vitamin C is hydrating:Vitamin C has been shown to have a hydrating effect on the skin because it lowers transepidermal water loss, which allows your skin to retain moisture more effectively.
- Vitamin C is brightening: Vitamin C can help fade skin pigmentation and smooth the skin’s surface to reduce dull skin and give you a bright, youthful glow.
- Vitamin C reduces redness and evens skin tone: Vitamin C is also proven to treat a wide range of inflammatory skin conditions. It works to minimize redness and create a more even complexion.
- Vitamin C helps fade hyperpigmentation: Hyperpigmentation, including sunspots, melanoma, and age spots, happens when melanin is overproduced in specific areas on the skin. It can also happen in spots where acne has healed. Vitamin C has been shown to impede melanin production,which can work to fade dark spots and create a more even-toned complexion.
- Vitamin C boosts collagen production: Vitamin C is well known for its collagen-boosting properties. Collagen is a protein that occurs naturally and depletes over time. Lower collagen levels lead to fine lines and wrinkles.
- Vitamin C helps protect against sun damage: Free radicals cause sun damage by searching for other atoms they can steal electrons from, which leads to serious skin damage. Since vitamin C is high in antioxidants that protect healthy skin by giving the free radicals an electron, they become harmless, and your skin stays protected.
- Vitamin C boosts wound healing: From acne scars to sunburns, your Vitamin C serum can make your skin healthier overall, thanks to its healing properties. It has been proven to speed up overall wound healing.
How to Use Vitamin C to Reap the Benefits
The best part about a high-quality vitamin C serum is that you only need a few drops per day, so your investment will go a long way. We recommend applying your serum every morning. Store your serum in a cool, dark place away from heat. It’s best to keep your serum in your bathroom cupboard instead of out on the counter.
Potential Risk of Vitamin C Serums
Vitamin C is a typically well-tolerated ingredient. The only risk is if the serum you use contains an ingredient you are allergic to. The Hygieia Vitamin C Serum contains clean, natural ingredients that minimize the risk of an allergic reaction, including vitamin E, hyaluronic acid, and jojoba oil. Experts also recommend being careful when applying the serum around your eyes.
Vitamin C is a powerful, natural ingredient that has many benefits, from healing blemishes to reducing hyperpigmentation, all while providing you with an out-of-this-world glow. Consistency is key for maximum effect, so be sure to apply your vitamin C serum daily.